Just changed my mobile plan from Singtel to M1 cause i think Singtel's mobile plans are the worst out of the big 3. It does nothing to try and retain customers of lower plans and all it does is to get exclusive mobile phones in order to sway people to its side. A simple comparison of similar plans of the 3 telecommunications will show you that:
1. Singtel is the only company that does not have per second billing i.e. if you have an outgoing call that's 1min 1s , it is counted as 2 mins. The others have per second billing
2. Starhub and M1 offer much more add ons and benefits, such as call to 3 friends for free, movie treats etc for their customers which is conspicuously lacking in Singtel's plan.
and the list goes on. I think the only major motivation that people will sign up for singtel is the excellent telecommunication network that it has. Apart from that, I have heard no other reasons why people choose Singtel over the others ( excluding those exclusive mobile phone deals)
So anyway, there was a need to key in my contacts in the new sim card by going through the list in my old sim card. It was, i would say, a very symbolic act for me. It meant going through names after names, of people who I had or am still keeping in contact with. In my context especially, the multiple deployments had seen people come and go frequently in my life and some numbers that i had were of needs and not wants. For those from school, some were stored as for emergencies ( and since there wasn't any that i can remember offhand. they were never called/texted) , some were friends of the past and of the present. So for those "obsolete" numbers, which I think I will probably never contact again in my life, it was for pragmatic reasons that I chose to delete them away. There were, nonetheless, some form of mourning where I tried to recall memories of the people whom these numbers belong too. Then again, if i was close to them, I wouldn't have deleted them away.
Each string of numbers belonged to different moments of my life and thus, the process became a journey that i had to undertake alone, to revisit the past and embrace the fact that the people were no longer there, and that I no longer have the right to show care and concern. I mean, if you didn't talk to a friend much for a long period of time, then the person will feel weird if you were to one day suddenly show much enthusiasm in him/her. It is especially so if you were friends who gradually went on separate ways since there was no longer common topics to talk about.
With the time chugging along relentlessly, Man has to learn how to move on, I suppose. To learn how to shed away feathers of the past to allow one to take flight into the horizon.
No comments:
Post a Comment